Scoliosis is not any kind of diseases or ailment. It is an abnormality of the spine. Normally the spine remains straight when seen from the back. But in people suffering from scoliosis, the spine gets curved sideways. The curve can be on any side of the back. This problem is difficult to cure in adults as the spine is already developed by then. But in kids, if the problem is detected at an early stage, the spine can be brought back to the normal position by various medical treatments.
Mentioned below are some great suggestions for dealing with scoliosis successfully:
- Use of the right kind of mattress for sleeping – The mattress plays an important role in helping patients with scoliosis. With constant use, the upper layers of support in the mattress are lost. As a result, the neutral position of the back does not get adequate support. It is important to ensure that the mattress is firm or semi-firm and provides complete support to the back. In case the mattress is not giving enough support, use extra pillows for this.
- Movements are important – Remaining in one position – either sitting or standing – can become quite painful. Infact it lays great stress on the spine. Do slight stretching exercises or walk a little to relax the spine. If you need to sit for long periods of time, look for a chair with solid back support.
- Exercise for improving core strength in the body – Core strength in the body needs to be improved as these are the muscles that provide required support to the spine. Balance on the vestibular disc or balance trainer followed by 3 sets of 15 squats without any kinds of weights. You can also exercise by lying on the stomach with extended arms, palms down. Lift both arms and feet. For upright rows stand with straight spine and do rows with barbell or dumbbell.
- Nutritional testing for kids suffering from scoliosis – Usually kids with scoliosis also have imbalances in hormone, brain chemical as well as nutrition. If these imbalances are corrected scoliosis progression can be controlled and the situation can be brought under control.
- Stretching helps – Stretching is a great exercise for relieving discomfort and pain from the back. Bend your back in the direction of the curve of the spine. You can also hang from a bar for some time and then repeat the same. Keep one rolled towel under the neck and other one under the lower back and lie on these.
Try these and you might get relief from scoliosis pain.